Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Motherhood...

It's been over a month since my last post. Why? I guess I just didn't have anything exciting to share. I was reading on a friends blog the other day and she mentioned she had the blogging blahs. I guess I'm kind of feeling that, too. I read other friends blogs and it talks about their book club, card club, church activity, exercise club, kid club, photo club, baking club, pie club, whatever club - you get the point. I would love to share some fantastic idea I came across or all the cool things I'm involved in, but unfortunately, I have nothing to report. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to have a pity-party for myself (ok, maybe a tiny, eensy, weensy, little one). This has really made me ponder my role in life lately. It has been almost a full year since I became a "stay-at-home mom." A year ago I got to spend 20 hours each week being a grown-up. I got to have adult conversations. I had adult responsibilities. It has been an adjustment staying home full time. I honestly feel like I'm dumbing down. I feel like every day is the same as the day before, except when I throw in my weekly grocery trip to WalMart - wa-hoo (sarcasm intended). What I'm saying is I haven't found my niche yet. So to help me get out of my blah moment - and help me understand that what I do is important - I want to focus on an (very) important role I do get to do - MOTHERHOOD.
I had heard the other day someone say that Mother is the most complex word in the dictionary. Think about it. What does it mean? unconditional love, protector, teacher, example, enforcer, jungle gym, advocate, cheerleader, burp rag (for all moms who have been puked on), kleenex (for all moms who have had a child wipe their nose on your shirt), confidant, friend, chauffeur, cook, laundress, maid, nurse, helper, bill payer. The list could go on and on.
So I may not have any great words of wisdom to blog about, a cool idea to share, a book club to report back on, but I can say that I have the greatest job in the world. I'm a mom!

This goes out to all the great "moms" I know. May we realize what a truly fabulous calling we have and try not to be so harsh on ourselves. Not all super heroes wear capes!!...
Before I was a Mom I never tripped over toys or forgot words to a lullaby.
I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous.
I never thought about immunizations.
Before I was a Mom - I had never been
puked on.
Pooped on.
Chewed on.
Peed on.
I had complete control of my mind and my thoughts.
I slept all night.
Before I was a Mom I never held down a screaming child so doctors could do tests. Or give shots.
I never looked into teary eyes and cried.
I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin.
I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep.
Before I was a Mom I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put them down.
I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt.
I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much.
I never knew that I could love someone so much.
I never knew I would love being a Mom.
Before I was a Mom - I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body.
I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby.
I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child.
I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important and happy.
Before I was a Mom - I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay.
I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment or the satisfaction of being a Mom.
I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much, before I was a Mom.
I didn't realize how much my mom had given of herself for me.

3 comments:

Sbankhead said...

I love you, you are great. Miss you guys! And I would argue that you probably had some of those things happen to you at PYI before you were a mom

the harpers said...

Amen! I think you are a great mom. We don't need a niche to be great, your niche is just being you :)

bamatamb said...

Hi Lisa, thanks for "friending" me on FB! It's so good to see that you're doing well...I always thought you were one of the nicest people in high school--just geniunely kind to everyone. And, I love this post on your blog! I have definitely felt that way too, as a SAHM; like I'm kind of worthless, a glorified maid/cook/housekeeper/babysitter. I think we all have our days, that's for sure! Anyway, your family looks great--your little girls are darling! Keep in touch. :) Michonne